This one's adapted from the August issue of Food & Wine, which was just chock full of vegetarian recipes. Food blogger Heidi Swanson came up with this one - if you haven't visited her blog 101 Cookbooks, do so immediately! The photography is really mouth-watering.
I made just a few changes to make it gluten-free as well, and as usual, opted to use organic veggies & spices and pastured eggs. As you can see, one of my eggs isn't quite perfect...oops!
Smothered Cauliflower with Eggs (serves 4, half portions & serves 2)
One 10 ounce head of cauliflower, leaves removed & cut into slabs
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 pound yellow tomatoes, cored & finely chopped OR 2 containers yellow cherry tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
1. Cook cauliflower until crisp-tender in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water (about 3 minutes. Drain in a colander; pat dry.
2. In a bowl, combine the almond & coconut flours. Toss cauliflower with flour, tapping off excess. (The original recipe calls for all-purpose flour).
3. In a large skillet, heat olive oil until shimmering. Add cauliflower and cook over medium high heat until browned. Make sure you turn it! Add chopped tomatoes, crushed red pepper, lemon zest and season with salt. Cook until the tomatoes are broken down (about 5 minutes).
4. While tomatoes are cooking, toast the almonds until browned.
5. Make 4 wells in tomato sauce using a spatula or spoon. Crack an egg into each well. Cover and cook over medium heat until egg whites are set (about 3 minutes).
I ate mine with a slice of sprouted grain & seed bread, which has a really delicious nutty flavor especially when toasted.